develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2015

Perl 5.20.3-RC2 is now available!

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
August 29, 2015 22:10
Subject:
Perl 5.20.3-RC2 is now available!
Message ID:
CADED=K50ExHxLkkeXMQ0AwGNxTGMnAT7b9GcpkJ9OYrqB0uoPQ@mail.gmail.com
    'I fled from Basra, sad and tearful, with no idea where I was going,
    and I was reciting these lines:

        The pain of parting makes me melt away,
        As lovers do when those they love are harsh.
        I wonder at the patience that I showed
        When I had lost my love, for that was wonderful.
        Beloved, do you know that since you left,
        I have remained confused in misery.

    I then heard a voice that said: "Damn you, have you no fear of
    Almighty God that you hand over a girl to an unbelieving 'ifrit?"  I
    walked for a time amongst the palm-trees until I caught sight of a
    person, whom I approached.  When I asked him who he was he said: "I
    am one of the jinn who were converted to Islam at the hands of 'Ali
    ibn Abi Talib, may God ennoble him."  "How can I get to my wife?" I
    asked him, and he said: "Wretched fellow, you had a bird which you
    allowed to fly away and now you want to fly after it."  But he
    added: "Follow this road with God's blessing all night until dawn
    and then by the shore you will see a huge cave in which there is an
    idol made of white stone.  You must drink of the water that there is
    coming out of the cave and smear your face with its mud.  Stay there
    and a barge will pass you as you stand opposite the statue.  Various
    different creatures will emerge, heads without bodies and bodies
    without heads, and they will prostrate themselves in adoration to
    the idol rather than to Almighty God.  When you see that, embark on
    the barge and cross to the other bank and walk along it until
    sunset.  On a high point you will see a castle built of bricks of
    gold and silver.  That is where your 'ifrit will be.  I have now
    told you about this, so goodbye."

        -- Anon., trans. Malcolm C. Lyons, "The Story of Abu Muhammad
           the Idle and the Marvels He Encountered with the Ape As Well
           As the Marvels of the Seas and Islands", from "Tales of the
           Marvellous and News of the Strange"

We are happy to announce the second release candidate of version 20.3,
the third maintenance release of version 20 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.20.3-RC2 from your favourite
CPAN mirror or find it at:

    https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.20.3-RC2/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

    be8961a40e5df1556dbbbe9634308096cdc6530c  perl-5.20.3-RC2.tar.gz
    6ab9491a7351ba7bf09fcfbd75cafd9b11a0c001  perl-5.20.3-RC2.tar.bz2

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

***Please, please, please*** test your code against perl-5.20.3-RC2.
This is your last chance to point out any critical regressions before
v5.20.3 ships "for real," and we'd rather fix things for v5.20.3 than
for v5.20.4!

The final v5.20.3 will ship no sooner than Sep 12th, a fortnight from
today.

Steve Hay