develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2015

Perl 5.20.3-RC1 is now available!

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
August 22, 2015 22:28
Subject:
Perl 5.20.3-RC1 is now available!
Message ID:
CADED=K7GRZn4uPJwVwvv6s7uGgZqXwY_Vvxu=GnXS=6SCWKVRA@mail.gmail.com
    'On the night of the wedding the ape came to sit in front of me and
    asked me what I intended to do.  "Whatever you tell me," I replied,
    and he said: "Take care not to covet the girl, or I shall come back
    and burn you up and leave you as a lesson for those who can learn."
    I agreed to this and when evening came I found the world full of
    candles and torches burning in holders of gold and silver.  There
    were servants and serving girls, and everyone who saw me
    congratulated me on my good fortune, as there was no girl on the
    face of the earth more beautiful than my bride.
    [...]
    'Next morning I went out to the market, and people went in and asked
    her how the night had been.  "He never looked up at me," she told
    them.  Then, when it was afternoon, I went to my house, where the
    ape was sitting by the door.  "Tell me what you did," it said, and I
    told it: "By God, I did not learn and do not know whether this was a
    man or a girl."  "That's what I want," it said.
    [...]
    'On the second night my bride was brought to me, after which the
    servants left her and went away.  She fell asleep, and, while she
    was sleeping, I killed the cock, wrapped it in the cloth and put the
    four poles from the couch over it.  Suddenly there was a huge crash
    like a peal of thunder and a fiery 'ifrit swooped on the girl.  I
    fainted at the sight and when I recovered I heard a voice saying:
    "By the Lord of the Ka'ba, the girl has been carried off!" and there
    was a sound like the rustling of wind and bitter weeping.  At this I
    shed tears, struck my head and was filled with regret when it was no
    longer of any use, for to me the whole world was worth no more than
    a bean.

        -- Anon., trans. Malcolm C. Lyons, "The Story of Abu Muhammad
           the Idle and the Marvels He Encountered with the Ape As Well
           As the Marvels of the Seas and Islands", from "Tales of the
           Marvellous and News of the Strange"

We are happy to announce the first release candidate of version 20.3,
the third maintenance release of version 20 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.20.3-RC1 from your favourite
CPAN mirror or find it at:

    https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.20.3-RC1/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

    0d788debf9d02a323ace9be1af578c1adb28d825  perl-5.20.3-RC1.tar.gz
    547c49915dc23d8a5f0ac00d64c4790d2e643624  perl-5.20.3-RC1.tar.bz2

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

***Please, please, please*** test your code against perl-5.20.3-RC1.
This is your last chance to point out any critical regressions before
v5.20.3 ships "for real," and we'd rather fix things for v5.20.3 than
for v5.20.4!

The final v5.20.3 will ship no sooner than Sep 5th, a fortnight from
today.

Steve Hay