develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2015

VS2015 (VC14) support

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
July 25, 2015 13:06
Subject:
VS2015 (VC14) support
Message ID:
C69C5F337BA04D49984AA7C86FFB6E773A0A9B0F@UKMAIL03.planit.group
VS2015 was released on Monday 20 July. I have seen a couple of earlier discussions about problems trying to get perl building with an RC version of it, notably with the FILE structure changes. Is anyone working on this, or have a plan what to do about it?

I've attached a patch of what I've done so far, mainly a tidy-up of Tony C's quick & dirty changes in http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/tonyc/vc2015-file

These changes avoid some problems with accessing FILE internals, but as noted in my patch, at least two problems remain. (I hacked out the _file problem in perlio.c to continue further and uncover the win32.c problem; I haven't explored any further than that yet, so I don't know if there are more problems lurking further along the line too.)

I noticed that perlio.c's PerlIOStdio_invalidate_fileno() contains the comment "XXX this could use PerlIO_canset_fileno() and PerlIO_set_fileno() support from Configure", but I don't think that would necessarily help in this case -- presumably it would just move the problem from PerlIOStdio_invalidate_fileno() to PerlIO_set_fileno().