develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2015

Re: For 5.24: suggested incompatible changes

From:
Jim Cromie
Date:
Re: For 5.24: suggested incompatible changes
Message ID:
CAJfuBxyGKgK2jF=Y8ZT84HyGj=4JOtTSLiGV2EWJ+J0cp13=OA@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 1:53 AM, Reini Urban <reini@cpanel.net> wrote:

> PERLIO_DEBUG only with DEBUGGING, use for all -D*
>
> PerlIO_debug() is currently called even without DEBUGGING, making perlio
> slower than it needs to be.
>
> * our changes wrap PerlIO_debug into a new DEBUG_I(),
> thus enable PERLIO_DEBUG only with DEBUGGING, and we use the debugio_fh
> for all DEBUG_* macros. so we can seperate -D* tracing from STDERR.
>
> the name can stay the same, as PERLIO_DEBUG=filename is already
> established, and letting -D* write into this handle seems natural to us.

at 1st glance, this would appear to fix 122 test failures in
-Accflags=-DPERL_TRACE_OPS builds,
especially in t/run/fresh_perl.t

$ ./perl -Ilib t/run/fresh_perl.t 2> bar >foo
$ more foo
1..92
not ok 1 - $a = ":="; @_ = split /($a)/o, "a:=b:=c"; print "@...
not ok 2 - $cusp = ~0 ^ (~0 >> 1);
not ok 3 - $foo=undef; $foo->go;
not ok 4 - BEGIN
not ok 5 - $array[128]=1
not ok 6 - $x=0x0eabcd; print $x->ref;
not ok 7 - chop ($str .= <DATA>);
not ok 8 - close ($banana);
not ok 9 - $x=2;$y=3;$x<$y ? $x : $y += 23;print $x;
not ok 10 - eval 'sub bar {print "In bar"}';
not ok 11 - system './perl -ne "print if eof" /dev/null'

That said, Im a bit concerned that fresh-perl tests rely on catching
unexpected stderr,
and calling it a "not ok"

It does seem clean to separate -D* debug output, since it isnt really
unexpected when -D* is given,

are these related issues why you deem this to be an incompatible change ?