develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2015

Re: For 5.24: suggested incompatible changes

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: For 5.24: suggested incompatible changes
Message ID:
20150701095729.GA49235@plasmasturm.org
* Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> [2015-06-30 11:30]:
> On 06/27/2015 01:38 PM, Zefram wrote:
> > Reini Urban wrote:
> > > * @_ will be empty in a function with signature
> >
> > This shouldn't be tied to signature syntax. We discussed this back
> > when initially adding signatures. We should certainly add features
> > for direct access to arguments, which signatures should use, and for
> > concomitant suppression of @_, but signatures should not be the only
> > way to get direct access, nor should signatures imply @_
> > suppression.
>
> That was your opinion then, and of course validly so. But the
> paragraph above reads like it was consensus. It was not.

After musing about this, it seems to me @_ setup most sensibly ought to
be exposed separately from signature syntax, but be disabled by default
in signatured subs (while remaining enabled by default for bare subs).