Re: extraneous autovivification (foreach (@$x), keys(%$x), ...)

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 30, 2015 22:02
Re: extraneous autovivification (foreach (@$x), keys(%$x), ...)
Message ID:
20150630220212.GA8983@cancer.codesimply.com
* Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> [2015-06-30T17:16:14]
> Maybe we cannot change that now. And if we cannot change it, we cannot
> change it. But I wish we *knew* that, for having tried it – instead of
> just forever wondering.
>
> And maybe we would instead find that we can.

First, could we control this lexically so that we had a proper core version of
"no autovivification" that didn't mean we have to pester Vincent every time we
change the internals?

Second, if so, we could at least look for how much CPAN would break.

At first blush, I'm not sure I like to imagine that anyone is relying on this
behavior, but of course it is possible that there are reasonable reasons to do
so.  Somewhere.

--
rjbs