Re: extraneous autovivification (foreach (@$x), keys(%$x), ...)

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
June 30, 2015 21:16
Re: extraneous autovivification (foreach (@$x), keys(%$x), ...)
Message ID:
20150630211614.GA21172@plasmasturm.org
* Paul Johnson <paul@pjcj.net> [2015-06-30 22:05]:
> I also wonder whether this could ever be fixed.

I wish we would give it a try. I’ll be damned if I can find the citation
now, but I distinctly remember that Larry himself, when asked about this
issue, said that autovivification of intermediate references in rvalue
context was not by design. I.e. it is an accident of the implementation,
and undesirable at that.

Maybe we cannot change that now. And if we cannot change it, we cannot
change it. But I wish we *knew* that, for having tried it – instead of
just forever wondering.

And maybe we would instead find that we can.

Regards,