[perl #122005] deprecate POSIX::tmpnam

From:
Ricardo SIGNES via RT
Date:
June 27, 2015 23:21
Subject:
[perl #122005] deprecate POSIX::tmpnam
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-17303-1435447286-1430.122005-15-0@perl.org
Jarkko suggests we remove this feature in 5.24, doing a one-release deprecation, because tmpnam is a known security problem.

I can see both sides of this issue.  I am about 0.5% on the side of keeping it in for two releases, as is standard practice, to ensure that people see warnings at least once.  The notion being that while perl is on a 1 year release cycle, many downstream vendors only sync up one every other year.

If we drop the code without two years of deprecation, some upgraders will have their library fail to compile (or run) without warning ahead of time.

Then again, to what extent is the code really "working" now?  My sentiment is "maybe well enough," but it's a lousy sentiment and I'm not really married to it.  Anybody else want to throw an argument on the fire?

--
rjbs

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: resolved