batch of Coverity fixes

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
June 27, 2015 03:25
Subject:
batch of Coverity fixes
Message ID:
558E178A.30508@iki.fi
393bc9b3..0103ca14

With these we are down to 36 open Coverity issues.

I know one of the still open ones has been fixed in CPAN upstream
(though not yet released, I think):
https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=105415  A few others are from
CPAN modules, reported upstream.  Some come from generated code (more
precisely, typemaps) that I haven't yet felt up to fixing.  Some are odd
enough that I've asked Coverity people to enlighten me.

This batch does not do anything about the bit shifts.

In this batch there are two that might be more bikesheddy:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/add0dc910759dea695e812146f825ac72b8cd089
http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/393bc9b3483a2e80d10a63fec99c2b2088b66154

which make alarm() and sleep() to do nothing (and warn, set errno and
return failure) on negative arguments.  The warnings given are perhaps
not the most informative, patches welcome.  The non-action taken is one
of the possible options: we could croak.  We could sleep(0).  (alarm(0)
already has specific semantics.)  The sleep was already discussed a bit
back in March:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2015/03/msg226304.html