Re: [perl #124346] Respect perl6 in hashbang

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
June 20, 2015 19:47
Re: [perl #124346] Respect perl6 in hashbang
Message ID:
CAHhgV8inNAr-ptWA_Cb_J6xCRUfc2KxBYmrKa9UmtE7rcw7Ddg@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>
wrote:

> * Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> [2015-04-19T10:12:48]
> > Leon Timmermans wrote:
> > >The attached patch tries to fix that, so that #!perl6 files will DWIM.
> >
> > That #! hack is obsolete.  We should not change its behaviour for perl6.
> > We should either leave it totally unchanged or remove it entirely.
>
> I find both sides of this tempting, because I constantly write "perl
> my-perl6-program" and like to imagine that it would help.  I'd need to
> have a
> perl6 shebang, though, which I rarely do in the things I'm running, which
> are
> tests or libraries.  If I did have a shebang, it would probably be to run
> env,
> sadly, and then I start getting nervous about the idea of picking our
> executable based on things like secondary args in the shebang (although we
> already do it).
>
> Obviously, I'm just a single data point here.  My gut, though, is that this
> will be added complexity with very little actual gain.  It's also very
> little
> added complexity, though.
>
> Anybody care to convince me otherwise?

There are programs out there that depend on perl acting as a switchbox, in
particular prove is such a program. This patch doesn't help anyone in
perl5-land, but it would help a lot of people in perl6-land.

Leon