Re: Question/suggestion on perlfunc.pod example

From:
Aaron Crane
Date:
June 16, 2015 17:38
Re: Question/suggestion on perlfunc.pod example
Message ID:
CACmk_tsK+hd7BDo9aY6sX3yuZ5KfNqCDB7ChQMubF6smeyJXyw@mail.gmail.com
Glenn Golden <gdg@zplane.com> wrote:
>   * In your version, "runs no external processes" has been dropped. Imo, as a
>     relatively inexpert perl user, that was a useful reminder, even though one
>     can certainly argue that the presence of backtics "obviously" implies an
>     external process.  To put it another way, a reader of my skill level might
>     well appreciate that reminder, even though it's redundant for the more
>     experienced user.  For the cost of four words, I'd favor keeping it.

FWIW, that phrase was added specifically to avoid incorrectly
suggesting that C<do $file> will set $? in the same way that C<eval
`cat $file`> does:

https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=116713

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/