for 5.24: the lexical topic

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 1, 2015 22:55
Subject:
for 5.24: the lexical topic
Message ID:
20150601225514.GB12719@cancer.codesimply.com
"my $_" is one of the very few things that we forcibly grandfathered into the
experimental track.  There was broad, though not universal, agreement that it
was more confusing than helpful in too many cases.

After the discussion in
www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2013/02/msg198987.html (now about
two and a quarter years ago) we replaced the deprecation of lexical topic with
experimental status to buy time, more or less, for a design change that would
eliminate all the surprises that the lexical topic was springin on users.

In the ensuing two years, there has been basically no serious discussion of
touching the lexical topic.

I don't mind changes that we think will fix this, but I do not like the idea of
the behavior languishing forever in an untouched experimental state.

Do we have any ways forward on the design, or anything to do other than remove
this behavior?

rjbs