[perl #124349] Sys::Hostname::hostname warn on spurious arguments

From:
Ricardo SIGNES via RT
Date:
May 26, 2015 12:08
Subject:
[perl #124349] Sys::Hostname::hostname warn on spurious arguments
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-6431-1432642089-992.124349-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Apr 20 03:46:25 2015, eda@waniasset.com wrote:
> I agree, it should throw an exception.
>
> I proposed the more timid alternative of just warning because I know
> that if it started throwing exceptions, existing and "working" code
> would break.
> So I imagined the cautious way forward was to warn for a release or
> two and start throwing exceptions at some point in the future.
>
> If the p5-porters are happy to take the bold approach of just dying on
> any argument passed to hostname(), I am all for it.

I'd be okay with just making it fatal, but I don't think it's in line with policy, and I don't think it's worth an exception.  Care to provide a patch that issues a deprecation-category warning on args to hostname?

--
rjbs

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open