[perl #125166] Not every package in the index (for the perl distribution) is in Module::CoreList

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 23, 2015 13:20
Subject:
[perl #125166] Not every package in the index (for the perl distribution) is in Module::CoreList
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-3725-1432387223-1012.125166-15-0@perl.org
On Tue May 12 13:50:08 2015, ether wrote:
> This describes a problem discovered by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa and
> described on #toolchain, #p5p yesterday.
>
> There are some modules that are indexed to the perl distribution in
> 02packages.details.txt that have no entry in Module::CoreList. This
> confuses some tools that try to figure out what distribution to fetch
> a module from.
>
> The original package that was noticed is Tie::StdHash (which isn't
> even require()able on its own, as it exists inside Tie/Hash.pm, but
> that's another problem); this is the full list. Some look like things
> that shouldn't be indexed; the others should be added to
> Module::CoreList.

ether:

1.  I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the actual problem here.  Can you give a fuller description of the "confusion" you mentioned?  Also, can you describe the relative severity of the problem?

2.  To the extent that I understand the problem, it seems like one that will require cross-jurisdictional activity to resolve.  Part of the problem seems to be that www.cpan.org -- something not per se within the jurisdiction of perl5porters -- is indexing things it shouldn't.  Another part of the problem seems to be that Module::CoreList -- which is maintained by perl5porters -- lacks entries for certain modules which really should be there (as distinct from modules which are just in core because they are data for testing purposes).  And there may be other parts of the problem besides those two.

Is that the situation we're in?  Can you recommend a way forward?

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---