t/porting/cmp_version.t hangs with RC releases [was: Re: [perl#125203] "pack f NaN not-equals NaN" fails in t/op/infnan.t on VC6]

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
May 21, 2015 08:17
Subject:
t/porting/cmp_version.t hangs with RC releases [was: Re: [perl#125203] "pack f NaN not-equals NaN" fails in t/op/infnan.t on VC6]
Message ID:
CADED=K7iJadBZo9_uQDYgqASV5bppGs+ejWuHXO1C+RQM5j47g@mail.gmail.com
On 21 May 2015 at 01:04, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I also noticed in testing that porting\cmp_version.t is hanging in
> this VC6 build. I haven't investigated further and I'm out of time
> right now. I'll try to see tomorrow if it's just VC6 and/or just this
> machine. I haven't noticed that problem in other testing, but most of
> my other testing has been of the RC1 tarball, and that test is skipped
> outside of a git checkout.

This happens in a git checkout with an RC release because this chunk
of code in t/porting/cmp_version.t loops indefinitely:

use File::Spec::Functions qw(devnull);
my $null = devnull();
my $check = 'HEAD';
while(1) {
    print "Checking $check\n";
    $check = `git describe --abbrev=0 $check 2>$null`;
    chomp $check;
    last unless $check =~ /-RC/;
    $check .= '^';
}
print "Found $check\n";

The problem is that ^ is a special character in the Windows cmd.exe, causing

git describe --abbrev=0 v5.22.0-RC1^

to prompt for "More?". This works:

git describe --abbrev=0 "v5.22.0-RC1^"

so changing the program above to contain

    $check = `git describe --abbrev=0 "$check" 2>$null`;

fixes it for me, but the double-quotes would need to be single-quotes for *nix.