Re: [perl #125106] Why are threads discouraged?

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
May 5, 2015 16:21
Re: [perl #125106] Why are threads discouraged?
Message ID:
20150505172044.44f31f30@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Tue, 5 May 2015 08:23:15 -0700
"Eric Brine" (via RT) <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:

> # New Ticket Created by  "Eric Brine"
>

> threads.pm says:
>
> The use of interpreter-based threads in perl is officially
> discouraged.
>

> Why is that? Is it just because they're rather heavy? If so, why not
> just say so and let the user decide whether he wants to use them or
> not? After all, heavy threads aren't a problem if you reuse them (as
> in a worker model).

Or people could help me finish writing/editing the perlconcurrency doc,
so one day it will explain in more detail:

  http://www.leonerd.org.uk/code/perlconcurrency.pod

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk