develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
March 6, 2015 19:02
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
CAD-TLz9hTV5iZPKq_b4-AsTFpYWTO4LSF9SAufp0OL8iKMmOrA@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:
> The signature op in the form that DaveM has proposed would effectively stop this whole class of CPAN module.

I see that it creates additional work to deal with more op-code, but
it doesn't make it *impossible* to write these modules; "just" harder.

> It really bothers me that you guys want to permanently destroy an
> important chunk of the space of CPAN possibilities in order to get your
> performance improvement a bit earlier.

Interesting opinion from someone who gratuitously broke the
CORE::GLOBAL::require extension mechanism for all modules on CPAN
using Module::Runtime (e.g. for Class::Load, which in turn is used by
a *lot* of popular CPAN modules, including Moose and Dancer):

> You seem to have forgotten what
> made Perl such a desirable programming language in the first place.

FWIW, I think Perl was a desirable and popular programming language
long before it was possible to munge op-code via modules.

Cheers,
-Jan