develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
Zefram
Date:
March 6, 2015 16:23
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
20150306162336.GX8710@fysh.org
demerphq wrote:
>I have yet to hear a decent reason why adding this to core is going to
>stop you or Zefram from doing it another way on CPAN.

DaveM has made clear that he is opposed in principle to the ability of
CPAN modules to munge ops.  He has stated that his signature op would
not just inconvenience such modules once but that it would be open to
arbitrary changes in the future.  The signature op in the form that
DaveM has proposed would effectively stop this whole class of CPAN module.

>It really bothers me that you guys keep pushing like this.

It really bothers me that you guys want to permanently destroy an
important chunk of the space of CPAN possibilities in order to get your
performance improvement a bit earlier.  You seem to have forgotten what
made Perl such a desirable programming language in the first place.

-zefram