develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
March 6, 2015 15:33
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
20150306153323.0303f831@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 14:15:51 +0000
Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:

> I'm slightly surprised that you're not excited by the obvious
> possibility here: you can implement the signature op as a CPAN
> module.  It would involve writing the peep-time recognition code,
> which I know you won't enjoy, but look at the upside: full
> signature-op optimisation on 5.20! Think of the performance you can
> deliver straight to production by not tying it to the core.  By
> virtue of the peeper knowing definitively where the subroutine
> starts, you'd even get to make the all-pad-scalars-clear assumption
> without risk of nasty interactions.

+1

I would much rather see this as a CPAN module that can apply to 5.20
(or even earlier by pattern-matching of common optree shapes such as
the  my (...) = @_  idiom)

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk