develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 5, 2015 20:22
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
20150305212138.6378f389@pc09.procura.nl
On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 12:10:54 -0800, Jan Dubois <jand@activestate.com>
wrote:

> > Do that and far more people will be happy, than doing something that
> > statistically-nobody can use today.
>
> *I* would be happy to see OP_SIGNATURE be used for "my(...) = @_" code
> even without enabling experimental signatures. This would speed up
> virtually all code on CPAN right away.

That is why I put my +1 in here.
Lets make the speedy version default and have possibilities for future
extensions open for the future. I'm not under the impression that
Dave's speedup will hinder whatever alternative people will come up
with, be that faster or slower. Dave's work is instant win.

> And given that there seems to be agreement that any alternative
> implementation will be slower, I don't see why we need to worry too
> much about committing to it. At least to me it is obvious that we
> wouldn't want to replace it by more generic ops for a 20% slowdown.
>
> I still don't get the either/or mentality. Why can't we listen to both
> types of music? :)

Or cover your ears and enjoy the silence :P

> Cheers,
> -Jan

using perl5.00307 .. 5.21   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE