develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
March 5, 2015 18:57
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
20150305185750.486b71bc@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 10:51:20 -0800
Jan Dubois <jand@activestate.com> wrote:

> Why would you give up a 20% speed improvement for some conceived
> "purity" in the op code system? It is way too late to turn op codes
> into a RISC-style design.

I don't want a RISC-style design.

However, nor do I want massively special-cased ops that as of right
now, statistically-zero percent of CPAN can use, when instead we could
have some ops that get peepholed inplace in EXISTING 5.18-and-earlier
CPAN modules, making *everyone* faster; not just those brave few souls
who start their code

  use experimental 'signatures';

I honestly believe we can build something that makes even *THIS* code
faster:

  sub foo
  {
     my $x = shift or die "Forgot to pass x";
     my $y = shift // 1;
     my $z = shift // $x++;
  }

Do that and far more people will be happy, than doing something that
statistically-nobody can use today.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk