develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 4, 2015 14:35
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
20150304143452.GX28599@iabyn.com
On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:35:57PM +0000, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> Arguments have been hand-waved in terms of performance. Has anyone
> actually tried this though? Presumably the one big-shot OP_SIGNATURE is
> going to itself do lots of things, and potentially be fairly slow in
> itself because of that. Maybe this can be decomposed into pieces that
> as a whole have more-or-less the same performance?

No, I have shown with exact figures that OP_SIGNATURE is blisteringly
fast, and am awaiting someone to come up with a practical example of some
generic ops that *might* approach similar performance. Until someone comes
up with at least one proposal, every one *apart* from me is hand-waving.

I have specifically written OP_SIGNATURE to be the fastest way that I can
currently conceive of assigning args to params while handling defaults
etc.

--
Counsellor Troi states something other than the blindingly obvious.