develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
David Golden
Date:
March 4, 2015 02:58
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
CAOeq1c89yFXiYgiqiGKF74K-Dfa0wu+65OjGTm151_3czrs5mg@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> While I'm not always opposed in principle to things being pluggable, I
> would attach a much higher priority to reducing the overhead of function
> calls in perl as much as possible. This is an area where perl is
> notoriously slow. If I had to choose just one or the other, I would
> choose speed without a flicker of hesitation. After all, if people want a
> infinitely pluggable parser, they know where to find perl6.

+1

I strongly believe that a faster Perl will have a much bigger impact on the
attractiveness and longevity of Perl 5 compared to greater pluggabiltiy.

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> Twitter/IRC: @xdg