develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2015

Re: OP_SIGNATURE

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
March 3, 2015 16:31
Re: OP_SIGNATURE
Message ID:
20150303163152.20530.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:00:08PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
> > It's a messy design.  The op types are, for the most part, reasonable
> > programming primitives, with simple specifications.  The signature op
> > type is entirely contrary to that.  Sure, we make some exceptions for
> > performance, such as padrange, but we have to strike a balance between
> > performance and API cleanliness.  padrange is a decent tradeoff: a good
> > bit of performance win for a small bit of API mess.  The signature op
> > is way too far at the vomit-over-the-API end of the spectrum.
>
> This is a subjective matter on which we'll have to disagree.
> NB - do you also object to my recent introduction of OP_MULTIDEREF?

I think Zefram has a point.  If you were to create signature ops in
the same way you create multideref ops, it would be a more general-
purpose optimisation that would automatically speed up any similar
code occurring in existing subs.  I would be all for implementing
it that way.