Re: [perl #123814] grok_atou() for regexp quantifiers

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
February 27, 2015 20:04
Re: [perl #123814] grok_atou() for regexp quantifiers
Message ID:
54F0CDBB.6090300@khwilliamson.com
On 02/27/2015 11:08 AM, Hugo van der Sanden via RT wrote:
> On Thu Feb 19 08:44:25 2015, public@khwilliamson.com wrote:
>> We should strive for a really good API before releasing it to the
>> public.  At this late date, it seems advisable to restrict the use of
>> this one to the core given there are complaints about it.
>
> I tried restricting the new function:
>
> -Apdn   |bool   |grok_atoUV     |NN const char* pv|NN UV* valptr|NULLOK const char** endptr
> +EXpdn  |bool   |grok_atoUV     |NN const char* pv|NN UV* valptr|NULLOK const char** endptr
>
> .. but ext/Dynaloader complains it can't see it. Should I simply be adding a #define PERL_EXT to that module? I had assumed all the core extensions would get that automatically, so I'm not sure what the ramifications are.
>
> Hugo
>
> ---
> via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open
> https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=123814

Someone else will have to tell us about the ramifications of adding
PERL_EXT are.

But, I think the embed.fnc entry should have an M flag, and the
  =for apidoc
line removed from the documentation for the function.  That will mean
that no documentation is generated, and so someone would have to be
looking through the code to even know that this function exists.

One option that wouldn't have further ramifications would be to add a
line to dlutils.c
     #define PERL_IN_DLUTILS_C
and then in embed.fnc, surround its entry with

#if defined(PERL_CORE) || defined(PERL_EXT) || defined(PERL_IN_DLUTILS_C)

and an #endif.

That way the prototype for the function is available only to the
specified areas and no others, unless someone is really crazy and adds
there own #defines to get around our restriction.