Updating perlpolicy.pod w.r.t. maintenance releases

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
February 26, 2015 14:16
Subject:
Updating perlpolicy.pod w.r.t. maintenance releases
Message ID:
CADED=K7g5hX1va8x35ssgxFXTdcwduYWzmN-jOyzH_DS-qSbWQ@mail.gmail.com
I have just pushed a set of changes to steveh/maintpolicy which update
our policies w.r.t maintenance releases.

I hope that these changes address the issues raised during various
discussions on this list in the run up to the release of 5.20.2.
Specifically, I'm thinking of these three threads:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2014/12/msg224162.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2014/12/msg224120.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2015/01/msg224680.html

Please have a look if you're interested in these things. I think the
changes are fairly modest, but hopefully capture the main thoughts
that people were expressing.

In a nutshell, the lists of acceptable/unacceptable changes are
essentially unchanged, but the wording now emphasizes that it may not
be desirable to cherry-pick every eligible change, and states which
types of change are the most important ones to focus on.

In future I intend to heed this new emphasis, and accordingly draw up
a much shorter list of proposals for 5.20.3. I hope that a much less
daunting list of proposals will reduce the difficulty in getting the
required number of votes on the ones that really matter and possibly
reduce risk slightly in the process, but not affect how worthwhile the
contents of maintenance releases are.