Re: HP-UX use64bitint archname

From:
Gisle Aas
Date:
February 25, 2015 08:34
Re: HP-UX use64bitint archname
Message ID:
CAMx+QJ7ZzNssST-qbGEH9ds+Fy7NrfSc_OZ=BieAKdob6YBwsQ@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Tony Cook <tony@develop-help.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 09:33:15PM +0100, Gisle Aas wrote:
> > We started building perl on HP-UX using the -Duse64bitint option and
> > discovered that this caused it to have the same archname as the
> > -Duse64bitall builds. This is confusing since they are not binary
> > compatible builds.  Fixed by the attached patch.
>
> This looks wrong to me.
>
> It only handles -Duse64bitall on the Configure command-line, but not
> when selected during a non -d option run.
>
> I think you need the hints file to produce a use64bitall.cbu which
> sets the archname64 appropriately after use64bitall is finalized, just
> as hints/solaris_2.sh does.

This sounds really complicated for such a marginal use case.  There are
lots of other tests for "$use64bitall" in the hpux hints file, so I guess
they will also then have the same issue.  I still think the provided patch
is an improvement.  Fixing the hints file properly can come later if
somebody that understands this cares enough.

--Gisle