Re: [perl #123069] signature/attribute syntax is awful

From:
Lukas Mai
Date:
February 24, 2015 20:46
Re: [perl #123069] signature/attribute syntax is awful
Message ID:
54ECE324.60807@gmail.com
Am 24.02.2015 um 19:12 schrieb Father Chrysostomos via RT:
> On Tue Feb 24 09:43:21 2015, perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org wrote:
>> * Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> [2015-02-24T12:37:26]
>>> That the signature is part of the body is not an implementation detail,
>>> it is fundamental to the definition of signatures.
>>
>> As far as the programmer who is writing a subroutine with a signature is
>> concerned, how is this relevant, let alone fundamental?
>
> It affects what the body in between the {...} does.
>
> I also find unconvincing the argument that putting the signature first makes it easier for programmers.  The signature directly affects the code that follows, so putting it right before it keeps related things closer.

You and Zefram are alone in this as far as I know. Literally everyone
I've talked to about this change (be it on IRC or in person at
conferences) gave a response somewhere between "ah, nice" and "oh thank
god, YES!".

So I find your objections unconvincing. :-)

--
Lukas Mai <plokinom@gmail.com>