Encode customization in blead

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
February 23, 2015 23:57
Subject:
Encode customization in blead
Message ID:
CADED=K5eFj_tCRuOsfJDsqJdTXDQYwJB5-14TqojCpS6DaDDiA@mail.gmail.com
What is the status of the Encode customization in blead?

Porting/Maintainers.pl has this:

        'CUSTOMIZED'   => [
            # Waiting to be merged upstream if it smokes ok: see CPAN RT#100347,
            # in particular see khw's comments on that ticket on 21 Nov 2014.
            qw( encoding.pm ),
        ],

The change to encoding.pm was this commit:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/3e669301f0a6fa34269f0e1eaf1fbbd72cae498a

khw's comments on CPAN RT#100347 say:

"I have just pushed to blead commit
3e669301f0a6fa34269f0e1eaf1fbbd72cae498a [...] My commit changes
encoding to be lexically scoped (but STDIN and STDOUT encoding scope
is unchanged). This should be soaked for a while to let the CPAN
smokers see if it causes failures there; if so, it may have to be
reverted. But in the meantime, any Encode release shouldn't include
it. I'll issue a pull request when we have enough experience to think
it will stick."

Is it time to send that pull request now, or does this still need
soaking for longer? I'm just mindful that we're running out of time
for 5.22 now.