Re: [perl #121392] use VERSION MODULE should not be considered legal

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
February 22, 2015 21:44
Re: [perl #121392] use VERSION MODULE should not be considered legal
Message ID:
20150222214421.GB30846@cancer.codesimply.com
* Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> [2014-09-25T05:40:41]
> > I'm with bulk88 on this one; since it's DWIM, my vote is to keep it.
> > (And then we may want to add a test, and document it).
>
> My vote too.

I stand by my earlier reply to this, but...

> But document it as discouraged, IMO. Not just because it is bad to use
> the construct, but also: while there is no need to break anyone’s code
> now, the syntax seems fairly likely to complicate or block new features
> for `use`. Should that ever occur, it should not cause huge controversy
> at that time to deprecate it. And that requires keeping usage low now.

Say that in mid-2018 we realize, then, that we want to use this syntax, or that
the current syntax complicates or blocks something, as you suggest.  We will
then be able to get the deprecation into the 2019 and 2020 releases, with the
feature removed and/or replaced in 2021.

I agree that we should take the action that you suggest, but I am going on
record that I am emitting a weary sigh as I agree.  It may not accomplish
anything, but it makes me feel a little better.

--
rjbs