[perl #123840] hang in re_intuit_start

From:
Hugo van der Sanden via RT
Date:
February 20, 2015 14:40
Subject:
[perl #123840] hang in re_intuit_start
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-6408-1424443243-1224.123840-15-0@perl.org
I tried looking at the second case a bit, '"\x{100}bcd" =~ m{\C\x{80}a?bc}'. I feel one of the underlying problems is that CANY claims to be SIMPLE, implying that it consumes exactly one character; I had a stab at making it VARYING (min 0, delta 1) instead, but haven't worked out the precise incantation to avoid breaking everything.

I wonder if \C has been deprecated long enough we could consider removing it: it violates a bunch of stuff we really want to assume.

Hugo

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new