[perl #123875] Getopt::Long pass_through <> error

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
February 19, 2015 00:07
Subject:
[perl #123875] Getopt::Long pass_through <> error
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-7280-1424304419-967.123875-15-0@perl.org
On Wed Feb 18 10:17:48 2015, mrberman87@gmail.com wrote:
> I am on x64 Fedora 21. When using an application that uses perl
> (http://www.veripool.org/projects/verilator) I ran into a problem with
> Getopt::Long version 2.43-1.
> Upon running the application, it simply quit out with the error
> message 'Option spec <> cannot be used with pass_through'. I have
> rolled back Getopt::Long to
> 2.42-2 and everything is running just fine. Upon submitting a bug
> report to the application community, they suggested this should be
> filed with Perl.
> They suggested this should print a warning message instead of killing
> the application.

Getopt::Long is a library which, while it is distributed with the Perl 5 core distribution, is primarily maintained on CPAN.  (See either http://search.cpan.org/dist/Getopt-Long/ or https://metacpan.org/pod/Getopt::Long.)  According to its CPAN sites, the place to file bug reports on Getopt::Long is https://rt.cpan.org/Dist/Display.html?Name=Getopt-Long.  You can report this bug via the web interface at that site or via email to: bug-Getopt-Long@rt.cpan.org.  Please do so, as this ticket at rt.perl.org will be closed with no action taken.

That being said, a grep of the differences between versions 2.42 and 2.43 of Getopt-Long (http://search.cpan.org/diff?from=Getopt-Long-2.42&to=Getopt-Long-2.43&w=1) shows that the error message you received was a new addition to version 2.43.  My hunch is that the rationale for this addition was an earlier bug report, https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=92462.  However, you will have to contact Getopt-Long's maintainers to confirm that, and you can do that by filing a bug report via either method described in the previous paragraph.

Thank you very much.
--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---