Re: [perl #123775] Args to 'system' not evaluated before forking,making $$ wrong

From:
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Date:
February 17, 2015 22:22
Re: [perl #123775] Args to 'system' not evaluated before forking,making $$ wrong
Message ID:
CACBZZX4Au2_a9wtuPE78aCowOUin0uM+WQ-nvWLakF28bJwohA@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 1:03 AM, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
>>
>> I suspect that evaluating in the parent is The Right Thing to Do, but
>> worry about backwards compatibility.
>

> The issue didn't exist until 5.16
> (0e21945565eb4664d843bb819fb032cedee4d5a6), and frankly I see no reason to
> do this deliberately. I don't think we have a serious backwards
> compatibility issue here.

That commit was followed-up by my 985213f, which in theory has the
same issue, but with the arbitrary magic GET of this patch any issues
in that wolud be fixed. In any case I can't see a way to make a plain
system() call change the user running the process WRT the argument
list.