Re: [perl #123854] parallel building with Win32 dmake problems

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
February 17, 2015 08:36
Re: [perl #123854] parallel building with Win32 dmake problems
Message ID:
CADED=K4TMBgEqE5Fy3jcCW7DEGuo65-Hrs25dcq963rR8vuYYQ@mail.gmail.com
[...]
> I am thinking that the only way to hack fix the performance problem with
> the echos is turn all the echo calls in .\config.h target
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/win32/makefile.mk#l1054
> into 1 very long shell line filled with &&s. The other solution is for
> miniperl.exe and miniperl's config.h, and buildcustomize.pl to be built
> from a 2nd dmake lang makefile, to break the IO file existence test
> chain tree up. Anyone disagree to consolidating all the echos into 1
> shell call or have any other opinions?

I haven't looked through the details, but I have no particular problem
with your suggestion as long as the lines in the makefile.mk are still
separate (i.e. using the \ continuation character) - one big long line
in the makefile.mk would be gross!

Another option might be to put all the echo commands into a batch file
in win32/ and have the makefile.mk issue a single shell call to run
that batch file (passing in the required macro values as arguments)?
That would have the additional benefit that the echo commands could be
shared with win32/Makefile, which has a very similar block of echoes
in it. Or would that still cause trouble because the batch file is
still doing separate echoes?