Time to make regex sets non-experimental?

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
February 15, 2015 17:18
Subject:
Time to make regex sets non-experimental?
Message ID:
54E0D4CD.6050506@khwilliamson.com
This was introduced in 5.18, and there have been no complaints from the
field.  This might be because no one is using it seriously because it is
marked as experimental.  The only comments that came that haven't been
acted on were at the beginning, from p5p, suggesting perhaps to add
precedence, so that & binds more tightly than |, but there was no 2nd to
that suggestion.  So I'm inclined to leave it as it is.

One thing this feature does is to compile as if "use re 'strict' is
enabled, for the portions of the pattern that look like (?[ ... ]).
5.22 adds the (experimental) ability to turn on 'strict' for the whole
pattern.

I'm proposing to decouple (?[...]) from 'strict' and make the former
non-experimental.  Anything that compiles under strict also will compile
under loose, so the only code that would be broken is that which is
depending on compilation failure (and it's currently marked experimental
anyway).