[perl #123439] Extra debug target in win32/makefile.mk

From:
Steve Hay via RT
Date:
February 12, 2015 18:26
Subject:
[perl #123439] Extra debug target in win32/makefile.mk
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-11508-1423765600-892.123439-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Dec 16 01:08:10 2014, shay wrote:
> On Tue Dec 16 00:41:51 2014, kmxx wrote:
> > This is a bug report for perl from kmx@atlas.cz,
> > generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.20.1.

> > [Please describe your issue here]
> >
> > win32/makefile.mk currently supports debug build via:
> >
> > dmake CFG=Debug
> >
> > which uses:
> > OPTIMIZE = -g -O2 -DDEBUGGING
> > LINK_DBG = -g
> >
> > I would like to propose adding a special debug target (e.g.
> > DebugSymbols)
> > which will not use -DDEBUGGING
> > OPTIMIZE = -g -O2
> > LINK_DBG = -g
> >
> > It might be handy if you want a perl binary with debugging symbols
> > but
> > without a special debugging code which is turned on via -DDEBUGGING
> >

> I have no objections to this. The trickiest thing will be thinking of
> a name for the new build flavour.
>
> Presumably you would want it enabled by setting CFG=Something in the
> makefile.mk (and Makefile), but what is the "Something" to be called?
>
> DebugWithoutDebugging?
> MinimalDebug?
> PlainDebug?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've now done this in commit 31c916d28f, using your original suggestion of DebugSymbols for the new CFG option name.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open