RFC: Deprecate separated /aa; multiple /ii

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
February 8, 2015 15:52
RFC: Deprecate separated /aa; multiple /ii
Message ID:
54D78626.8040401@khwilliamson.com
I've been meaning to write about these for months, but didn't get around
to it.  It may very well be too late for 5.22.

The effect of /a is increased when it occurs twice, such as /aa.  The
a's can be separated as in /ama.  I was the one who wrote the code to
add these, and the reason I didn't require the a's to be together was
because I didn't have a commit bit, and was trying to keep all my
patches as simple as possible.  It seems to me that it is easier to
understand and maintain code where the repeated modifiers aren't separated

I also would like to deprecate multiple uses of /i.  This would be to
pave the way for potentially being able to specify full vs simple case
insensitive matching.

I grepped cpan for potential breakages from these, and found no current
uses there.

I can't imagine a need to ever do this for other modifiers.

The only modifiers that do have such repeated uses on cpan are the
obvious /e, and /g (in /egg)