Re: [perl #122159] Bleadperl v5.21.1-11-g4077a6b breaksGFUJI/Text-Xslate-3.2.4.tar.gz

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
February 8, 2015 02:47
Re: [perl #122159] Bleadperl v5.21.1-11-g4077a6b breaksGFUJI/Text-Xslate-3.2.4.tar.gz
Message ID:
20150208024716.GA17595@cancer.codesimply.com
* Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-11-23T19:06:38]
> And since I wrote that I have seen about 3 or 4 cases of false positives, and
> one case of clearly badly-written code.  The latter would have been caught by
> my suggestion of doing a compile-time check.  What do you think of that
> suggestion, BTW?  Would it have caught the PAUSE bug?  It’s basically to warn
> only about sprintf "constant string", $known, $number, $of, $arguments.

It would not, fwiw, have caught the PAUSE bug, which passed the arguments in an
array whose size was constant, wrong, and not inferrable from the Perl code.

In https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=122159#txn-1318809 you vited
changes needed to Badget, saying it would be a pain to work around the warning.
But the workaround is just "no warnings 'redundant'".

I don't have really strong feelings about this warning, but I remain leaning
pretty firmly toward "it's still worth it."

--
rjbs