FYI: surprising issue with debian on powerppc - no 64-bit pointers ??!

From:
Michael Felt
Date:
February 7, 2015 14:32
FYI: surprising issue with debian on powerppc - no 64-bit pointers ??!
Message ID:
CANvxniVVO5XAEL=fw13+VwmCQh8fSecAm=CsPXq_D4TFbiZnTg@mail.gmail.com
In case you have been looking or even wondering why debian linux (on POWER)
is failing with the 'c' option - from a manual Configure I am getting this
result:

The default should almost always be sensible, so if you're not sure,
just accept the default.
List of earlier versions to include in @INC? [none]

<malloc/malloc.h> NOT found.

<malloc.h> found.

Checking to see how big your pointers are...
Your pointers are 4 bytes long.

*** You have chosen a maximally 64-bit build,
*** but your pointers are only 4 bytes wide.
*** Please rerun Configure without -Duse64bitall.
*** Since you have quads, you could possibly try with -Duse64bitint.
*** Cannot continue, aborting.

====

My assumption is that this is a 64-bit kernel, so I am amazed with the
issue. Looking into it - and for now shall drop -Duse64bitall from the smoke