develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2014

Re: some tests are slower than others

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
December 1, 2014 11:26
Re: some tests are slower than others
Message ID:
20141201112639.GF15713@iabyn.com
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 02:20:51AM -0000, Father Chrysostomos wrote:
> Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > ext ext/B/t/concise-xs.t 8 130.9 56.3 0.430
>
> Dumb stress-testing.  See whether B::Concise can distinguish between
> XSUBs and perl subs correctly, by testing *hundreds* of perl
> subs and fulling dumping them, and then checking the output for
> /(next|db)state/.
>
> That's the most inefficient way of testing, uh, pretty much noth-
> ing.  It's basically seeing whether B::Concise is capable of doing
> CvFLAGS & CVf_ISXSUB. How about creating half a dozen perl subs and
> half a dozen XSUBs and
> testing those?

Yep something like that. It's always a test that pointless fails whenever
you change something minor in the B hierarchy and don't add the new
constants to concise-xs.t. I *hate* this test file.

--
A power surge on the Bridge is rapidly and correctly diagnosed as a faulty
capacitor by the highly-trained and competent engineering staff.