develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

Re: Do pad name string buffers need to be pointer-aligned?

From:
Aaron Crane
Date:
November 30, 2014 20:12
Re: Do pad name string buffers need to be pointer-aligned?
Message ID:
CACmk_tv1hfafBuFq0HUk2gyorDt73SdFwmsxTk1CJxmY__u9yw@mail.gmail.com
Father Chrysostomos <sprout@cpan.org> wrote:
>> perhaps the line began "#if" and was therefore swallowed by
>> "git commit"?
>
> Yes, it often bites me.  I wish I could disable that feature
> altogether.

In recent Git (as of version 1.8.2, I think) you can:

git config --global commit.cleanup whitespace

The default setting is "strip", which is documented to "Strip leading
and trailing empty lines, trailing whitespace, and #commentary and
collapse consecutive empty lines". The "whitespace" setting
documentation is "Same as strip except #commentary is not removed".

You may alternatively prefer the "scissors" setting, which uses a
specially-formatted comment matching /^# -+ >8 -+$/ to separate the
editable part of the message from the comments summarising what is
being committed; only comments that appear after it are swallowed. I
believe this setting is available as of Git 2.0.0.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/