develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
November 16, 2014 18:17
Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
20141116181734.GB11331@cancer.codesimply.com
* Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> [2014-11-14T00:29:27]
> I don't think in terms of ASCII in such ranges, except for a-z, A-Z, and
> 0-9.  I don't believe that most programmers do either.  An example is the
> recent introduction of [A-z] into blead.  It was a typo, rather than the
> intent of the programmer.

I agree with you about issuing warnings when they can eliminate bugs early, and
that does mean warnings during compilation.  I also agree with FC that we don't
want to spew warnings a billion times during execution.

Possibly this could be overcome in practice, for this warning, but I think that
in this case we'd annoy more people than we'd help.  If this language was being
built from the start, I think it might have been a useful addition.  Starting
from here, I think it will not be worth the gain.

MOZNION recently announced https://metacpan.org/pod/Regexp::Lexer -- maybe
we'll be able to have a decent regexp linter in the near future...

--
rjbs