develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

(Not) dual-lifing Deparse

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
November 15, 2014 15:05
Subject:
(Not) dual-lifing Deparse
Message ID:
20141115150527.13131.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
The last time someone asked why we bother supporting multiple Perl
versions in B::Deparse, someone spoke up and pointed out that it has
had CPAN releases in the past, so it needs to be maintained this way,
in case it becomes dual-lifed again.  I want to contend this point.

Saying that it 'might' be dual-lifed in the future doesn't make it so
now, nor does it make anyone do it.  Furthermore, all the backward-
compatible code in B::Deparse is written 'blindly'.  I doubt it actu-
ally works.  While it might be nice to make recent bug fixes available
to older perls, I wonder whether it is worth it.  After all, in all
stable releases, BEGIN blocks end up in the wrong place.  So if you
are using B::Deparse for seralising code, then you already have to be
careful to make sure your code is Deparse-compatible.  And there is no
way to fix that by making new B::Deparse releases.

I am trying to get BEGIN blocks to show up in the right place in
blead, but it requires changes to the core.  And those changes to the
core require significant reworking of B::Deparse, so this backward
compatibility is becoming an obstacle.