develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

[perl #123071] substitution loop issue with long strings

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
November 15, 2014 04:14
Subject:
[perl #123071] substitution loop issue with long strings
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-16604-1416024851-1627.123071-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Nov 14 19:01:36 2014, jkeenan wrote:
> On Mon Oct 27 21:40:18 2014, sprout wrote:
> > I’m creating a ticket for this, so it is easier to track.
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > That’s exactly what’s happening.  The sbu_iters and sbu_maxiters
> > members defined in cop.h are of type I32.
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > We could fix this by changing those two struct members to SSize_t.
> > But if that would enlarge the struct subst/struct blk union defined
> > in
> > cop.h, it might be worthwhile considering skipping the check
> >   altogether for long strings.
>
> Father C, which of these two alternatives do you think we should
> pursue?  (Or, are there others?)

That would depend on whether using 64-bit values to records the iterations enlarges the struct.  I haven’t checked yet.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open