develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

[perl #123071] substitution loop issue with long strings

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
November 15, 2014 03:01
Subject:
[perl #123071] substitution loop issue with long strings
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-11121-1416020496-352.123071-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Oct 27 21:40:18 2014, sprout wrote:
> I’m creating a ticket for this, so it is easier to track.

[snip]

> That’s exactly what’s happening.  The sbu_iters and sbu_maxiters
> members defined in cop.h are of type I32.

[snip]

> We could fix this by changing those two struct members to SSize_t.
> But if that would enlarge the struct subst/struct blk union defined in
> cop.h, it might be worthwhile considering skipping the check
> altogether for long strings.

Father C, which of these two alternatives do you think we should pursue?  (Or, are there others?)

> After all, if substitution loops, it is
> because of a bug in perl; and if that bug does occur then it is likely
> to happen regardless of the length of the string.  (Right?)  So it
> will be caught even if the check is skipped for long strings.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---