develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Abigail
Date:
November 6, 2014 09:42
Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
20141106094231.GA13377@almanda.fritz.box
On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 09:14:33AM +0000, Ed Avis wrote:
> Perhaps the answer is to introduce a new escape \X which is explicitly non-portable and looks up in the native character set.
> \x and \N look up in Unicode on all platforms.
> Mixing \X with the others in a single range is not allowed.

Before we all go changing stuff (outlawing constructs, throwing warnings,
change meaning, whatever else has been suggested), does anyone have to
actual examples of code (that is, real code, not a constructed cases in
a theoretical scenario) that doesn't behave as the programmer intended,
and is caused by the ASCII-EBCDIC differences? Any bug reports?

In other words, is there an actual problem that needs to be tackled?

Abigail