develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

DAVEM TPF Grant#2 October 2014 report

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
November 3, 2014 14:32
Subject:
DAVEM TPF Grant#2 October 2014 report
Message ID:
20141103143224.GC16055@iabyn.com
The main things I worked on this month were:

* set up the beginnings of a basic performance/optimisation testing
  infrastructure under t/perf/
* investigated the performance of perl's string allocation and growing
  implementation, and came up with some suggested improvements (which I
  haven't yet done).
* fixed some issues with $#shared with threads::shared arrays

      5:26 [perl #122950] Off-by-one when truncating *shared* array
      0:20 fix compiler warnings
      2:48 investigate floating-point performance regression
      6:32 investigate sv_grow() algorithm
     15:07 process p5p mailbox
      0:26 review "Speeding up perl's OOP" patch
      3:58 set up t/perf/
    ------
     34:37 TOTAL (HH::MM)

As of 2014/10/31: since the beginning of the grant:

  54.7 weeks
 747.8 total hours
  13.7 average hours per week

There are 452 hours left on the grant