develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2014

Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Abigail
Date:
November 1, 2014 00:07
Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
20141101000647.GA18674@almanda.fritz.box
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 07:19:07AM +0000, Ed Avis wrote:
> I suggest that "Most of us don’t care whether our code runs on EBCDIC," is not the best way to frame the issue.
> For application code this  may be true, but library code usually has to be written more cuatiously,
> as you don't know where it will end up.  I am not saying that nonportable constructs should be disallowed,
> but that it should be an explicit choice for the programmer to use them, where reasonably possible.

I write tons of library code. In fact, that's my job.

And I know damn well it's never ever going to end up on an EBCDIC platform.

Forbidding or warning that would have worked as intended on ASCII platforms
just to accomodate the few coders that have to write code that needs to
run on both ASCII and EBCDIC platforms is the wrong tradeoff IMO.

If you want your code to run on both ASCII and EBCDIC, go ahead, and don't
mix [\x{..}-\N{..}] ranges. But there's no need to forbid for people who
don't (have to) care.

Abigail