[perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
October 30, 2014 23:12
Subject:
[perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-20779-1414710733-259.122853-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Oct 30 15:26:11 2014, jhi wrote:
> ... and if we step outside ASCII, what do you think X-Χ should match?

If that is the same character at both ends (assuming it is in a character class, and that your message was not somehow scrambled), then it would match that one character.

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> wrote:
> > So as a native ASCIIer, when you see ABC you are actually seeing 0x41 0x42
> > 0x43?
> >
> > <spock>Fascinating.</spock>
> >
> > You also cannot see characters with diacritics.

By ‘native ASCII speaker’, I meant one who works with ASCII all the time, for whom Unicode is just ASCII extended to a phenomenal degree, being a superset of ASCII.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: resolved