[perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
October 30, 2014 11:20
Subject:
[perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-20719-1414668042-619.122853-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Oct 30 04:19:49 2014, sprout wrote:
> On Thu Oct 30 01:25:13 2014, aristotle wrote:
> > * Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-10-30
> > 06:05]:

> > > I don’t think it should be deprecated. Most of us don’t care
> > > whether
> > > our code runs on EBCDIC, so things that just work on ASCII
> > > platforms
> > > should not be deprecated or removed because of EBCDIC-accommodating
> > > reasoning.
> >
> > Are you arguing a principle here
>
> That.
>
> > or do you have code that would break?
> > (In which case, how much?)
> >
> > To me the principle behind this deprecation is not “this would not
> > port
> > to EBCDIC so you should not be doing this” but “we are making \x and
> > \N
> > mean different things that cannot semantically be mixed”.
>
> But on ASCII systems character ranges are simple (start at the Unicode
> codepoint specified by the left-hand character and iterate through
> them to the right-hand character).  I don’t think making them more
> complex brings any benefit.  On EBCDIC, due to the model that Perl
> follows, they are naturally complex, but that complexity needn’t
> affect code and programmers that never come in contact with EBCDIC.

I’m ignoring locales.  I don’t know whether they have any bearing on this issue.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: resolved